, Kyiv 07:35
Comments by H.E. Olexander Nechytaylo, Ambassador of Ukraine to Malaysia on the release of the JIT interim report on MH17 investigation
28 September 2016, 14:42
- The Joint Investigation Team (JIT; comprised of the investigation authorities from the Netherlands, Ukraine, Malaysia, Australia and Belgium) presented today the interim results of the criminal investigation into the downing of flight MH17. This is an important milestone and a big step forward reflecting a long and exhaustive work that has been done so far;
- We welcome the results of this independent investigation. The JIT has made significant progress, and today some questions that had been on people’s minds, especially the victims’ next of kin, have been answered. It provides conclusive evidence that the plane was shot down by a BUK 9M38 series surface-to-air missile, brought from Russia, launched from the territory controlled by the Russian-backed separatist militia and taken back to Russia. The collected supporting evidence can be used by the prosecution and is admissible in court;
- Ukraine and Malaysia together with other JIT member-states are making progress with an effective prosecution mechanism for those responsible for the downing of MH17;
- While we cannot take away the grief of those who lost their loved ones that day, we can do everything possible to ensure justice is done independently, fairly and transparently;
- Those, who lost their loved ones must know - no matter how long it may take – we will not rest until justice for the victims of MH17 will be served.