1. Establishment of the Diplomatic relations: 27th September 2003.
2. Political relations: By now, the embassies of the two countries have not been set up. Since 2005, the bilateral relations with Timor-Leste have been placed under the jurisdiction of the Embassy of Ukraine in Malaysia. H.E. Mr. Olexander Nechytaylo is the Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of Ukraine to the Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste since 20th February 2020.
As a non-permanent member of UN Security Council in 2000-2001, Ukraine made significant contributions to the support of movement for the Independence of Timor-Leste, setting the peace and the establishment of the UN presence in the country. Until December 2012, 12 representatives of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Ukraine participated in the UN Integrated Mission in Timor-Leste (IMOONT). The presence of Ukrainian personnel in the IMOONT was a significant positive factor for the development of the bilateral relations between the two countries.
On 27 March 2014 Timor-Leste did not participate in the vote on the UN GA resolution «The territorial integrity of Ukraine» (A/RES/68/262) about the Russian aggression against Ukraine and the illegal annexation of Crimea. The consistent position of Timor-Leste on this issue was confirmed during 2014-2020 relating the draft resolutions of the UN «Situation of human rights in the Autonomous Republic of Crimea and the city of Sevastopol (Ukraine)» and «Problem of the militarization of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea and the city of Sevastopol, Ukraine, as well as parts of the Black Sea and the Sea of Azov» at the Third Committee of the UN, as well as during the voting of those resolutions by the General Assembly.
3. Trade and economic relations: the first ever trade export totalling USD 9,400.00 has been recorded in 2016. Bilateral investment cooperation between the two countries has not been established. In 2019 was recorded import from Ukraine for total amount of USD 7,037.90.
4. Cultural and humanitarian cooperation:
There are some opportunities for the bilateral humanitarian cooperation in the field of education, in particular providing the Timor-Leste’s students with the possibilities to pursue their education in the Ukraine’s Universities.
5. Scientific cooperation:
Despite the fact that the Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste is currently one of the largest recipients of international assistance, significant reserves of oil and gas give a reason to anticipate rapid economic development in the next 10 years, despite the current depreciation in the world energy prices. In this regard, the development of the bilateral relations between Ukraine and Timor-Leste in the fields of power engineering, agriculture, and education areas could be mutually beneficial.
6. Bilateral agreements: At this time, between the two countries signed Joint Communiqué on the Establishment of Diplomatic Relations. Both sides are considering the draft Protocol on consultations between Ministries of Foreign Affairs as well as the drafts Agreements on Visa-free regime and on Cooperation in the field of Education.
7. Ukrainian community: there is no Ukrainian Diaspora in.
8. Diplomatic mission of Ukraine: Ukraine in Timor-Leste is represented by the Embassy of Ukraine in Malaysia http://malaysia.mfa.gov.ua/en.